Thursday, March 24, 2016

Measuring Angles in Fourth Grade

Here is what you'll need:
1. Types of Angles Foldable (from my TPT store)
2. Sir Cumference and the Great Knight of Angleland (via Amazon or other book retailer)
3. How to Use a Protractor (via Downeast Teach on TPT)
4. Measuring Angles Scoot Activity (see pictures below)

Here is what you do:
1. Types of Angles Foldable
This resource comes from my 4th Grade Geometry Vocabulary product. You will only need the types of angles page for this specific activity. Have students glue the foldable and copy down the definitions in their math journals. Here is what it should look like:
from my TPT store


2. Sir Cumference and the Great Knight of Angleland
You can purchase this book from Amazon by clicking the link above or from any other book retailer. I prefer Amazon because it is inexpensive and quick! This is a must read if you haven't already! What a fun book that introduces the concept of measuring angles in an engaging and exciting way.

3. How to Use a Protractor (via Downeast Teach on TPT)
I found this resource several years ago and it is always my go to when it comes time to measure angles. This resource is clear and concise. I have my students add it to their math journal! The students love it! You will need to add your own guided practice as you see fit.
via Downeast Teach on TPT

 
4. Measuring Angles Scoot Activity
From my experience, I found that teaching students how to measure angles on a small worksheet can get messy! Worksheets don't provide enough room to accurately measure an angle. The angles are often printed small and students have to use the straight edge of the protractor to extend the rays of the angle. It definitely gets messy!

I decided to take a different approach this year. I used the plain side of old book covers to create my own angles for students to measure. Don't forget to label each angle with a number. I made twelve (#1-12). You can make more or less, it is up to you!

I posted the angles around the room in numerical order. Students worked in pairs to solve the problems. In addition to measuring the angle, I had my students identify the type of angle and name the angle. We did the "SCOOT" approach. Students start at a station and work with their partner to measure the angle, name the angle, and identify the type of angle. My students needed about three minutes for each station. You will need to play around with the time to see what works best for your students. When the timer goes off, students will rotate to the next station. Don't forget to restart the timer!

Continue this process the students have answered all the questions. Students can record their answer on notebook paper or you can create your own template.




Did you enjoy this Geometry activity? You can download my Geometry Bundle Pack by clicking here. It contains FIVE great activities for a low price! Don't pass up this great deal.


You can download other great products from my TPT store. Just click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment